<$BlogRSDURL$>
From Penang
Thursday, July 06, 2006
 
FIVE DAYS AFTER THIS...


After three months of interviews, telling the world, it was our time, we all have the right experience, are @ the right age and generally being very optimistic, it went all wrong.

But I think I might have finally got over this scene. It took a while but I am no longer as upset as I was on Saturday night/Sunday very early morning. Actually the worst part of all this was knowing that I was going to get so much cr@p at work on Monday (being the only Englishman in the office is good for English Language teaching but bad when the English World Cup team get knocked out). Heck, some of them didn't even wait until Monday. Cue an example of a concerned work colleague:

"Boo Hoo! Kiss d Finals goodbye babe!
Well, what do u expect, their English...
Gooo England, go home."

Although fortunately, Brazil lost later that night which meant I could give a lovely reply later on (although I had no space left to comment on her spelling).

So I wore black on Monday, kept my head down the whole day, nodded and forced myself to smile at all my football ignorant colleagues (who suddenly become experts when the World Cup comes around) who were giving me ****. Sadly one woman is still going on about it today but as she is one of the most senior members of the colleague, I am holding back my tongue!

Where did it all go wrong? (Warning this bit is slightly technical) Whilst some people may argue it was at Rooney's red card, I think we had more than enough chances to score before then. Lennon's dribble wasn't finished by Wayne or Joe Cole and a totally unmarked Lampard at the far post from a corner... If you've seen Henry's goal (vs Brazil), I think that is the difference between world class and a very good player. Both unmarked, both at a vital stage in the match, both chances coming from crosses and needed a well struck volley - and the Frenchman showed his class whilst the Englishman continued his nightmare of a World Cup.

He had a good chance to wake himself from his nightmare when he was the first player stepping up for the shoot outs but he'll be having bad dreams for quite a while I suspect. However when Portugal missed the second penalty and Gerrard stepped up, I thought we were still in it. And 5 seconds after Carragher had to retake the penalty, every single England fan looked like this...


For anyone who still feels like this, they might like to click on this link to cheer themselves up. It's a Malaysian blogger telling you how to make your own official World Cup Football. Trust me, you will smile after reading it...
 
Comments:
kenny is really creative!!!!!!!!
 
England had a terrible tournament. There are no highlights for us in any game. I kind of didn't let myself believe so I wouldn't be as disappointed but I was still gutted when we got knocked out. Onece again, we flatter to deceive. Sven is a disgrace. He has not progressed us in 5 years and I believe he has wasted our so called Golden generation. PS Keep the change on your £5 million you tw*t. Too many so called world class players underperformed. Buck stops with Sven, glad to see the back of him. What a waste of money! Surely McClaren cannot be any worse!

Frustrated Uncle Stephen
 
Uncle stephen is right that Sven has been quite useless and most at fault. Some of the clique of big name players also should share some of that too IMHO. Lampard, Beckham, Owen (who has since started to criticise sven too) Neville, I think they all didn't do justice to the country in terms of effort or team play. Ego's. The England team was too full of ego's (see above). We needed and need a Klinsman to shake things up.

England fans are a bit more mindlessly hopeful than other fans too I think. We just set ourselves up for these disappointments.
 
Post a Comment
Things & Thoughts from the turtle shaped island.

ARCHIVES
August 2003 / September 2003 / November 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / July 2008 /


Powered by Blogger