<$BlogRSDURL$>
From Penang
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
 

So I've been meaning to write up our weekend away to Singapore for a fortnight but never got round to it... until now. Here are a few selected thoughts about our trip:

The special deal with our short Singapore Airlines flight meant that we had a special rate with Hotel Pan Pacific. It has the reputation of a swish Singaporean hotel (well as I could tell when various people go "oooo" whenever I mention it to them) so my expectations were raised. It has a lovely lobby with lots of big, comfy seats that you could just melt (see photo) into as well as the necessary water feature (which pleased our young son to no end). The ride to the room was just as spectacular as well - an outdoor lift that lets you survey the Singapore skyline as you shoot up to the 29th floor - which was unnerving for my mother as she was not too fond of heights. However the swishness of the hotel didn't really extend to the room - the room was comfortable but not really as spectacular as I would have expected in line with the rest of the place. It came with a nice sea view too because the lady kindly upgraded us (the balcony provided a place from my mum to take some picturesque photographs although she wouldn't look over the edge) and some business sized envelopes that were perfect for slipping 2005-6 fantasy league diaries into!

( Ok, no photo although you click on this link to see what I wanted to put in!

http://singapore.panpacific.com/hotel/photo_04.html )

As my only stays in Singapore have only been 5 hour long stop-overs from ridiciously long 13+ hour flights, I have never really seen much of outdoor Singapore in a state enough to appreciate it. In all honesty, we didn't have a clue where to go even with the tourist map unfolded in front of us but our final decision rested on Singapore Zoo - a place where Ben would come face to face with wild animals that he only ever seen on television.

Singapore Zoo is a hard place to reach. We had a long MRT (Monorail Transport) journey at which Ben was pretty tired then we had to get off (me carrying a Ben which had fallen asleep) and look for a taxi. We were standing at a taxi stand for 10 minutes and... no taxi ever came! So we walked around the corner of the shopping complex and there was one pretty much instantly!! The most annoying thing was that to get back to the hotel, we took a taxi back and it slashed the amount of travel time by about two thirds and wasn't at all expensive as the girl at the information counter in the shopping centre told us...

Singapore Zoo has a 3.4km path which actually isn't very far at all... to adults! However to a half dozy 5 year old son, it is a considerable distance and we couldn't use the tram that travels around the zoo either as it wasn't included in the ticket price either. So my bad memories recall having to drag and later carry my own 18kg pet around the zoo. However there were some good memories - Ben could relate to most of the animals from cartoon feature films. For instance, he loved looking at the meerkats which triggered memories of The Lion King 1 & 1/2 and Timone and Pumba as well as actually hearing a lion roar. Then we came across a bunch of children who were on a school trip and when they went to look at the newly imported giraffes, they were singing a song from the film Madagascar "I like to Move It, Move It!" Our son also liked the fountain which shot water directly up into the air and was surrounded by pebbles too (see photograph of happy child and tired father).


After a dinner of ordinary but expensive duck rice, we headed straight for the Night Safari which is essentially another zoo next to the main one but as you have cunningly guessed only open at night. Fortunately though our tickets did allow us to sit on the tram (I don't think we would have gone in if it didn't because the adults were pretty exhausted by then!). Despite the long queue, which moved along quickly thanks to typical efficient Singaporean efficiency, we were able to board one of the trams and the ride turned out to be quite enjoyable - certainly enough that Ben wanted to go on it again! It was basically a slow ride around the zoo with a lady sprouting facts from the top of her head as we trundled past various areas but with the animals accustomed to the tram and dimmed lights, they were not bothered about us which allowed us to get a good look at them in their (fairly) natural habitat - most especially the boars which were only an arm stretch away - although no-one was crazy enough to offer their hand!

Well the next day turned out to be a horrible one (after a pleasant Japanese lunch with John, Angela & baby James) as we visited shopping centre after shopping centre with no considered planning. It is even more terrible with an 18kg son who whines on as time moves on which usually = my good self carrying him = a tired father = (if left long enough to stew) a very p*ssed off man. I would like to say at this point that Singaporean shopping centres are woefully child unfriendly - no playgrounds or anywhere for younger children to play at any of the 3 (very large) shopping centres that we stomped through.

However my brother-in-law did take us to an excellent place for dinner called le marche. Each diner is given a card with a bar code scanner and whenever you go and choose something to eat, you hand it over and it gets scanned. At the end of the meal, you pass your card to the cashier and it gets totalled up. And boy are there choices?!? It is set out like a (very clean) market with each section brimming full of tasty looking food - the meat section brimming with steak and vegetatables of your choice although the lamb (actually now I think about it, I don't think it was lamb but it will have to be lamb because I can't remember what it was) looked just as appealing.

You could also compile your own food re: the vegetables for instance, you could make your own salad, take a pre-paid salad, choose your vegetables and ask the chef to stir fry them for you just the way you like it - the pizzas were, of course, your choice of topping and baked in the oven whilst you wait. And the desserts were just as popular with the ice cream and pancakes having a very long line with a multitude of cakes also on display for the customer's selection. And the queues were not restricted to the inside: we had to queue outside for a short while becaue all the tables were full - it felt like a nightclub as we stood on the red carpet behind the man with the rope letting people in! My mouth just salivates at the thought of the place...

Sunday morning was the day 3 of us flew home although we managed to cram in a service at City Harvest Church in the morning. At this point Ben & I separated to go to the children's service whilst my mother & I joined Angela in the main auditorium for the service. Our service was ok although there was one funny moment (amongst others). The young lady was demonstrating the cleaning of a stain on a white cloth by hand washing it in a bucket and relating it to the cleaning of our sins by Jesus Christ.

One of her sentences were, "I'm sure you've seen your parents clean your clothes like this."

At which point, Ben related loudly to her (and everyone else), "My mummy and daddy wash the clothes in a washing machine!" The strange thing was that he said it loudly enough for everyone to hear in a moment of quietness but nobody reacted at all. It was as if nobody heard (not possible) although they might have had difficulty understanding his accent or else it didn't register in their brains.

Meanwhile the service in the basement was jam packed full of young people and noise! My wife actually described it as similar to a concert in terms of size and response which would account for my mother's words of never returning there again! The church also now holds the record for the shortest skirt I've ever seen in a church - I know that if I was a guy and this particular girl sat next to me, I sure would have difficulty concentrating. On the sermon that is! Obviously we've not been to any of the cell groups or any other events so I wouldn't like you to avoid this church just from what I've written above.

It has, by far, the best church website intro I've seen (although I would like to point out the need for a high bandwidth and a computer that is running fairly speedily!)! And the only church website that tells you the weather of the city, it is based in! It puts our church website to shame although of course, it doesn't really matter whether a church website is funky or not. Ok, I can go round in circles apologising but it really is too late and I am coming close to having 21 hours without any sleep so at this point, I will cut my short (or rather long) my Singaporean tales right now!
 
Comments:
Ben is cute! That dirty, grubby thing on his lap is his bear which he carries around with him everywhere.

And I realise my neck looks very long with the shirt collar pulled down like that!

Especially with that giraffe behind me for comparison!!
 
hey dezmond. I also think its a lovely pic. Father and son. You are (literally in this photo) the fountain from which the little man flows. You look tired tho. Get someone else to be chairman next year!
I had the same feeling as you at City Harvest. I went in 1999. It was a bit manic I thought.

I went to The night safari around then too and my you know their is a commentary when your being driven round in the dark..well, my friend jon and i got of the cart, part way through, and were standing by the path when the next 'train' thing passed by. The commentary happened to be talkin about proud, magnificent beasts that can be seen to the left...well, at that moment John and I were the only things visible to the left!! we couldn't resist striking a pose whe we heard those words....funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take it easy mon amis.
 
Neil - read 3rd sentence about Singapore Zoo. That explains my tiredness.

That photo was taken after I had carried the equivalent mass of a sleeping, dead-weight 18kg sack of rice for about one hour - and that is enough to shatter anyone.

At the point that the photo was taken, I was all ready to go back to Pan Pacific and just collapse into bed. I really didn't care about the fact that we had paid for the Night Safari but a little plate of duck rice after that helped even if it was decidedly average and over-priced (as they always are at theme parks). Oh and all the sugar from Ben & Jerry's...

And in the end, it was a wise decision because it would have been a shame to miss the Night Safari.
 
Post a Comment
Things & Thoughts from the turtle shaped island.

ARCHIVES
August 2003 / September 2003 / November 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / July 2008 /


Powered by Blogger