<$BlogRSDURL$>
From Penang
Sunday, May 01, 2005
 
ADDICTED

Now that we have streamyx (broadband) in our flat, the adjective above describes me perfectly! Blogs (and even sites such as Friendster) have provided such a good place for people thousands of miles away to keep in touch, especially those that you would not normally talk or write to. (Although I would like to take this point to say that I absolutely detest e-cards.)

It was great keeping in touch with Sam in Japan, Bert in Birmingham and Tuan in Singapore. Then when I discovered guys like Alvin, Neil and Sarah were on-line, things got even better! Better from the point of view that I could follow these guys and their thoughts from my own flat. However with broadband, it means that I can leave my computer on all day online (although I don't) because of the one flat fee rate. And what started to happen was that I would visit these sites. First it was once a day. Then in the afternoon. Then in the evening. It soon became a sort of addiction that I would constantly click all over the place.

And the sad thing is that I would get disappointed when they didn't update their pages. This is entirely hypocritical as I update my blog about twice a week but everyday, I was saddened and asking myself, "how come Alvin didn't write something new about his job today lah?" Even if they did write something new every day, they wouldn't write something new thrice in one day but I would still check! It was like when we first got an internet connection (dial up - all those weeks ago...) and I would check my e-mail inbox obsessively with huge disappointment if no-noe wrote to me (and huge anger whenever the dial up didn't work).

This compulsion to blogs (oh and football websites) and the television shows (see somewhere below) has led to one thing.

Bad eyesight.

I swear my eyesight has deteriorated. I can confidently say this for one reason. I've always played football without glasses and it's never been too much of a problem because my eyesight is not so bad. But recently there has definitely been more squinting and the idea of contacts just leaves me squirming ever since I watched a programme (Watchdog?) that told me of the bacteria that can exist between the eye and the contact. I know millions of people wear contacts every day without problems but it makes me freak out, ok! Laser surgery is appealing although I wait for the day, it is affordable and 99.99999999% risk free.

So warning to all your bloggers out there. (Damn I wish I could think of a much better ending.) And a big thank you to Sarah who updates frequently enough that I suspect her job isn't as hard as it is to describe.
 
Comments:
Actually Sa, in a bout of forced creativity, I did force myself to write a posting for every day in the month of January 2005 so you should have a read of it and see if there is a varying degree of quality from day to day (some of the posts have been imported to the Ball Kicker site).
 
Post a Comment
Things & Thoughts from the turtle shaped island.

ARCHIVES
August 2003 / September 2003 / November 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / July 2008 /


Powered by Blogger