musings - TSUNAMI REFLECTIONS
Just for the heck of it I thought I might try to put a post on this website for every day of this month as I've already got 2 of 2 so far. This now means that my brain is constantly on the lookout for interesting events every waking moment, my memory has to try to remain sharp to collate those moments or else my imagination will have to come up with something in the event of a dull day!
--------
I was in a conversation with one of my Monday park football fellow players today. As the dusk slowly turned into pitch black after our kick about had finished (nil nil in case you are interested), we moved around several topics (I didn't know Kwan had a younger brother for instance) until of course, we came across the current 'hot' topic - tsunami. His main feeling was that it was a reminder of how precious life is and that you should value the ones you love because no-one knows when they might be taken away. However he also briefly mentioned that it might be God's revenge on mankind for all the rubbish that we throw into the sea and now the sea throws it all back at us!
I'm more of a subscriber to the first opinion. I see it more of a reminder of how short and unpredictable life can be. From the Christian viewpoint, it is also a call to be constantly aware of day to day opportunities to tell people of Christ (I'm not talking within the disaster regions, just within our own lives generally) and to utilise the 24 hours successfully. My other main feeling is for Christians to show their love for their neighbours, in this case those who have survived the disaster, in their actions. Not to try to outdo other religions or groups (some people actually think like that!) but out of your own heart, because you want to and because it is a
commandment.
"You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind. And,
love your neighbour as yourself." (Luke, Chapter 11, Verse 27). Or maybe in this case, you could replace
yourself with
your family. What would you do if it was your brother or mother? Or even - what would you do for my wife and son if it was me who died?