Ben - ROMANCE AT FOUR
After waking up late, Ben and I arrived at school and as we waited for the gate to open after ringing the doorbell, a cheerleading squad began to form outside the door. It was led by his greatest admirer, Evelyn, and she had gathered a few other girls to continuously scream, “BEN-JA-MIN, BEN-JA-MIN!” (Evelyn is adamant that he is her boyfriend and at one stage, was jealous when another girl sat down next to him during lunch.)
Whilst I was impressed by this chorus of girls delighting in seeing my son, he had other feelings. They consisted mainly of fear as he stayed rooted close to the slide, out of the line of vision of the door. After attempting to coax him towards the door, he said with desperation, “I’m scared.”
Obviously I will have to remind him of this in 12 years time when he is at an all-boys school and has no girls interested in him. Oh, one minute, that’s me...